IRVING, Texas -- Centenary College closed out the season on a high note, taking the fifth-place match in a 3-0 sweep of Austin College at the 2018 SCAC Volleyball Championships Saturday evening on the campus of the University of Dallas. Official Championships Website | Postgame Interview
The Ladies end the season with an 18-18 mark and the second-highest win total in program history. Austin College ends the season 16-18.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Austin College jumped out to a 5-0 lead, only to see Centenary storm back and even the first set at 7-7. The rest of the set was back and forth before Centenary pulled out the 25-23 win.
- Once again, Austin College took an early lead (9-4) only to see Centenary win seven of the next nine points to pull back even at 11-11. The Ladies then pulled ahead 19-13 and the 'Roos were never able to get closer to two points as Centenary took a 2-0 set lead with a 25-22 win.
- Centenary closed out strong, producing its best hitting set of the match (.279 with just four errors) to take the set 25-18 and the match 3-0.
CENTENARY COLLEGE STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Alyssa Davis: 18 kills, .382 hitting percentage
- Shyann Pisano: 8 kills, 9 digs
- Michaela Brantley: 7 kills, .312 hitting percentage
- Rachel Demerjian: 39 assists, 10 digs
AUSTIN COLLEGE STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Karson Dykes: 8 kills
- Brooklyn Talley: 20 assists, 8 digs
- Mayson Kennon: 5 kills, 10 digs
- Centenary's fifth place finish is the program's best since joining the SCAC prior to the 2012 season.
- This match was a repeat of last year's fifth place match, with the Ladies turning the tables this year. Last year, Austin College defeated Centenary, 3-0.
- This was the third time the two had met in SCAC volleyball tournament play with Centenary picking up its first win after two previous 3-0 defeats.