GEORGETOWN, Texas - After 110 minutes of action couldn’t break a 1-1 tie, Trinity defeated Southwestern in penalty kicks (4-2) to capture its seventh-straight SCAC Men’s Soccer Tournament Championship. Official Championships Website | Postgame Interview | Tournament Stats | Championship Photo Album
In the penalty kick shootout, Southwestern missed on its first two opportunities, including a save from Trinity’s Blake Liberman in the first round. The Tigers capitalized on all four of their opportunities with the winner coming off the foot of Brady Johnston for the 4-2 victory.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Trinity got on the board first after Brady Johnston converted on his first penalty kick of the day in the 25th minute of the match.
- Southwestern tied the game late to send the contest into overtime when Jake Swonke converted on a penalty kick in the 89th minute for his second goal of the Tournament.
- Trinity outshot Southwestern, 18-10, including a 4-1 edge in the overtime periods.
- The PK shootout was the fifth in the history of the SCAC Men's Soccer Tournament and the second to determine a champion.
TRINITY UNIVERSITY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Brady Johnston: 1 goal, 4shots, 3 shots on goal
- Andrea Codispoti: 2 shots, shots on goal
- Blake Lieberman: 7 saves, 1 goal allowed
SOUTHWESTERN UNIVERSITY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Jake Swonke: 1 goal, 1 shot, 1 shot on goal
- Alex Newell: 4 shots, 3 shots on goal
- Alan Carr: 10 saves, 1 goal allowed
- Trinity has won the SCAC men's soccer tournament seven out of the 10 years it has been played.
- The title was also the 21st overall for the Trinity men's soccer program, the fourth most of any program in SCAC history trailing only the Trinity men’s tennis (23), Trinity women’s soccer (23) and Trinity women’s tennis (22) programs.
- Trinity’s Brady Johnston earned the Offensive MVP after scoring a goal in the title game and converting hist penalty to secure the title on Sunday.
- Southwestern’s Alan Carr collected Defensive MVP honors after collected 24 saves in three games, posting two shutout victories and allowing just a single goal in 290 minutes of action. Carr also posted a tournament-high .960 save percentage.
- This is the sixth straight year that Trinity has had to defeat the host school on its way to the tournament title. The Tigers defeated Southwestern in the championship game in 2013, Texas Lutheran in the semifinals in 2014, Colorado College in the championship game in 2015, Austin College in the semifinals in 2016, Dallas in the championship game in 2017 and Southwestern in today's championship game.
By virtue of today's victory, Trinity will earn the SCAC automatic bid to the NCAA tournament. They will find out their opponent and match location when the bracket announcements are made on Monday.