IRVING, Texas -- Southwestern University had to fight off a determined Austin College squad and survived to play in tomorrow's semifinals after posting a 3-2 victory in Friday's nightcap quarterfinal of the 2018 SCAC Volleyball Championship. Official Championships Website | Postgame Interview
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Southwestern only trailed once at 7-6 and took the 25-20 set one win.
- In the second set, Austin College rebounded with a 25-18 victory.
- Southwestern dominated play in the third set and cruised to a 25-13 win.
- Austin College used a 12-2 run to take a 20-13 lead but had to fight off one match point (25-24) to win the next three points and earn the 27-25 win and push the match to a fifth set. The set was the best played of the match with Austin College hitting .316 and Southwestern .324.
- Southwestern jumped on Austin College and earned the victory with a 15-6 fifth set win.
- After struggling to a .123 hitting percentage the first two sets, Southwestern closed out with a .337 hit percentage the final three sets.
SOUTHWESTERN UNIVERSITY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Ashley Whitlock: 12 kills, .550 hitting percentage
- Jamison Duck: 17 kills, .302 hitting percentage
- Makenzie Mendez: 55 assists, 16 digs
- Brandi Campos: 32 digs
AUSTIN COLLEGE STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Mayson Kennon: 12 kills, 6 digs
- Brooklyn Talley: 21 assists, 11 digs
- Caitlin Mahoney: 8 kills, .412 hitting percentage, 6 blocks
- The meeting was just the third between the two programs in SCAC Tournament play. The two split their earlier two matches with Austin winning 3-0 in 2007 and Southwestern taking a 3-0 win the third place match in 2012.
Southwestern (17-11) advances to take on the No. 2 seed, Trinity University, in the 2:30 p.m. CT semfinal match. Austin College (16-17) will take on Centenary College in tomorrow's fifth/sixth place match at 5 p.m.