CLEBURNE, Texas - Trinity is headed back to the Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference Baseball Championship for the sixth time in the last seven years following a 4-2 victory over Southwestern, to eliminate the Pirates in Saturday’s tournament nightcap. Official Website l Bracket l Photo Gallery | Interview w/ Trinity Head Coach Tim Scannell and Jack Wisniewski
Trinity won the conference title in 2015 by winning twice on the final day and the Tigers will have to do that again tomorrow as they face the tournament’s last undefeated team, Texas Lutheran, with first pitch scheduled for 1 p.m. CT.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Trinity stuck first in the top half of the third inning, taking a 1-0 lead, after Rafe Chaumette drove in Jack Wisniewski, courtesy of a sacrifice fly to center field.
- Southwestern responded immediately scoring its lone two runs of the night in the home half of the third as Ted Lobkowicz and Hayden Craig each scored unearned runs.
- The Tigers tied the game up at 2-2 in the fourth on an RBI single off the bat of Wisniewski, scoring Michael Goodrich.
- After a scoreless fifth and sixth innings, Trinity regained the lead in the seventh when Wisniewski scored for the second time in the game, driven in by Jake Martin’s single.
- Trinity pushed the lead out to 4-2 in the eighth when Dalys Binder singled up the middle to plate Goodrich for the second time of the evening.
- Centenary again threated in the ninth, pulling within one, but Trinity closed out the win on a game ending double play.
TRINITY UNIVERSITY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Jack Wisniewski: 3-3: 2 runs, 1 RBI
- Jake Martin: 2-5, 1 RBI
- Michael Goodrich: 2 runs, 1 BB
- Dalys Binder: 1-3, 1 RBI
- Ian Hussian: 7.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 4 K, 2 BB
SOUTHWESTERN UNIVERSITY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Ethan Hallmark: 3-4
- Daniel Montgomery Jr.: 2-3
- Ted Lobkowicz: 1 run, 1 BB
- Byron Dowdell II: 1 RBI, 2 BB
- Ian Hussian improved to 5-3 on the season after seven scoreless innings of relief.
- Trinity has now won 70 SCAC Tournament games, the most of any program in league history.
- Southwestern has now finished third for the third consecutive season and fourth time in the last five years.
- Including this year, Trinity and Texas Lutheran have combined to win six of the last seven SCAC Baseball Tournament Titles, but tomorrow will mark just the second time the two programs have met in the championship during that stretch.
The Tigers (32-10) square off against Texas Lutheran in the championship game of the SCAC Baseball Tournament with first pitch scheduled for 1 p.m. CT. Trinity will need to defeat the Bulldogs twice to win its 12th SCAC title in program history and first since 2016. Southwestern ends its season with a record of 24-19 .