SAN ANTONIO, Texas -- After battling through a scoreless regulation and one overtime period, Schreiner University's Marrissa Wheeler scored the golden goal and game winner three minutes into the second overtime to secure the 1-0 victory over Centenary College and send the Mountaineers into Saturday's semifinal round for the fourth consecutive year. Official Championships Website
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Centenary outshot Schreiner 11-8.
- The Ladies also held a 7-1 advantage in corner kicks.
- Wheeler's game winner came in the 102nd minute.
CENTENARY COLLEGE STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Gabby McDonald (MF): 3 shots, 2 shots on goal
- Kyra Montes (F): 2 shots, 2 shots on goal
- Maggie Pitcher (GK): 101:43 minutes of play, 3 saves
SCHREINER UNIVERSITY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Marrissa Wheeler (MF): 1 shot, 1 shot on goal
- Tracey Howell (MF): 1 shot, 1 shot on goal
- Jordin Toso (GK): 101:43 minutes of play, 6 saves
- The meeting was the second between the two programs in SCAC Tournament play.
- The first time the two met, in the quarterfinals of the 2016 tournament, that match also went to double overtime and Schreiner took that victory as well, 3-2.
- The opening match of the SCAC Women's Tournament has gone to double overtime for four consecutive years.
- Schreiner's victory as the five seed is the first time a #5 has beaten the #4 seed since Dallas defeated Austin College, 2-1, in 2013.
- Centenary ends its season with a 9-6 overall mark.
Schreiner (5-9-3) advances to play No. 1 Trinity in the semifinal match tomorrow ar 11:00 a.m. CT. Trinity swept the Mountaineers (3-0 on Sept. 25 and 7-0 on Oct. 19) during the regular season.