GEORGETOWN, Texas -- After spotting the University of Dallas a goal in the game's third minute, Texas Lutheran scored five unanswered, including four first half goals within 10 minutes of each other, to take a convincing 5-1 victory in Friday's first quarterfinal of the SCAC Men's Soccer Championship. Official Championships Website | Postgame Interview | Tournament Stats | Quarterfinal Photo Album
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Dallas' Tomas DePetris, with an assist from Eric Haigh, got the Crusaders on the board in the game's third minute.
- Texas Lutheran found the back on the net four times in 10 minutes after trailing Dallas 1-0 to take a 4-1 lead with 17 minutes remaining in the first half.
- Luis Green and Cameron Townes had two goals each for the Bulldogs.
- TLU's Brendan Soto had five saves and allowed just one goal in 76 minutes in net.
TEXAS LUTHERAN STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Luis Green: 2 goals, 3 shots on goal
- Cameron Townes: 2 goals, 2 shots on goal
- Nicolas Medina 1 goal, 1 shot on goal
- Brendan Soto: 5 saves, 1 goal allowed
UNIVERSITY OF DALLAS STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Thomas DePetris: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal
- Eric Haigh: 1 assist
- The victory advances the TLU men to the SCAC semifinals for the fifth time in six years.
- The four goals scored within 10 minutes is the fastest four goals scored by one team in SCAC tournament history.
- The five goals scored are the most by a team in SCAC tourney play since Trinity defeated Austin College, 5-1, in the semifinals of the 2016 event.
- The multiple goals by Green and Townes are the first multi-goal effort by teammates in a tournament match since Colorado College's Christian Wulff (3 goals) and Nathan Anderson (2 goals) combined for five goals in a 6-0 victory over Schreiner in the 2015 championships.
- The University of Dallas ends the season with an 8-8-0 overall mark.
By defeating Dallas, Texas Lutheran (11-7-9) will face advance to face top-seeded Trinity in tomorrow's first semifinal at 11 a.m. CT. The two only played once during the regular season with Trinity earning the 2-1 overtime victory.