SEGUIN, Texas - Danny Rivara's jumper in the lane with 22 seconds remaining was the difference as sixth-seeded Trinity held off and upset third-seeded Centenary, 65-63, in Friday's quarterfinal nightcap of the 2019 SCAC Men's Basketball Tournament. Official Tournament Website | Post-game Interview w/ Trinity
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Trinity out-shot Centenary, 44.0 percent (22-50) to 34.3 percent (23-67).
- Centenary out-rebounded Trinity, 41-35.
- Trinity's bench outscored Centenary's, 36-19, but Centenary had more points in the paint (24-12).
- Centenary didn't take its first lead until 7:47 mark of the second half when a three-pointer by Gavin Thomas gave the Gents a 53-52 lead.
- Another three-pointer by Gavin, who was a perfect 3-for-3 from distance, gave Centenary its largest lead of the game at 60-56 with 3:43 remaining.
- Danny Rivara: 20 points, 5 rebounds, 3 blocks
- Jordan Lippman: 13 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assists
- Carter Laramore: 5 points, 8 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals
- Treylan Matthews: 24 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals
- Gavin Thomas: 11 points, 3 rebounds
- Kile Mingo: 10 points, 8 rebounds
- Rivara's last basket of the game gave him 1,000 points for his career.
- Tonight's matchup marked the third time the two have met in the SCAC tournament. Trinity beat Centenary, 82-70, in the championship game of the 2014 tournament and Centenary picked up a 57-55 victory in a quarterfinal game in 2016.
- With the win, Trinity advances to the semifinal round for the second consecutive year and the 13th time in program history - the most of any team in the SCAC tournament era.
- Trinity is the second consecutive No. 6 seed to upset the No. 3 seed in the quarterfinal round and the third No. 6 to win in the last four years.
- Despite the seeding difference, Trinity had defeated Centenary twice during the regular season - 67-62 on Dec. 19 in Shreveport and 75-73 on Feb. 2 in San Antonio.
- Playing in its seventh consecutive SCAC tournament - the longest active streak on the men's side of any current program - the quarterfinal loss is just the third for the Gents.
- Centenary ends its season with a 13-13 record.
Trinity (7-19) advances to take on Texas Lutheran University tomorrow in the second men's semifinal at 7 p.m. CT. Texas Lutheran enters the tournament as the No. 2 seed with an 11-5 conference mark (16-9 overall). This will mark the second meeting between the two in SCAC tournament play - Trinity defeated Texas Lutheran, 78-65, in the quarterfinal round of the 2014 tournament.