COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - Leading by 10 with just under six minutes remaining, Schreiner had to withstand a late charge from Centenary and held on to earn the program's first-ever SCAC men's basketball tournament title in an exciting 77-73 victory Sunday afternoon on the campus of Colorado College. Official Tournament Website
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Centenary led throughout most of the first half and a three-pointer from Cedric Harris gave the Gents a 35-31 halftime lead.
- A dunk by Gumbs with 17:09 remaining in the game gave Schreiner a 37-36 lead - its first lead since the 17-minute mark of the first half.
- Two of the league's best players, Schreiner's Gumb and Centenary's Kirkendoll put on shows in the second half. Gumbs had 18 of his 25 points and Kirkendoll poured in 22 of his game-high 33.
- Schreiner had 23 points off turnovers compared to just 10 for Centenary.
- Schriener dominated in the paint, scoring 44 points while Centenary managed just 10.
- Centenary made 9 of 24 attempts (37.5 percent) from three-point range; Schreiner managed just 2 of 13 (15.4 percent).
- Keenan Gumbs: 25 points, 9 rebounds, 3 assists, 3 steals
- Blake Kelley: 22 points, 6 rebounds, 2 blocks
- Paul Wells: 8 points, 8 rebounds
- Travion Kirkendoll: 33 points, 3 assists
- Cedric Harris: 15 points, 10 rebounds
- The all-tournament team consisted of Jacob Kouremetis of Texas Lutheran University; Cedric Harris and Travion Kirkendoll of Centenary College; and Paul Wells, Blake Kelley and Keenan Gumbs of Schreiner University.
- Gumbs was named tournament MVP.
- Kirkendoll became the league's all-time leading scorer with his ninth point of the first half, breaking the former mark of 1,894 held by Russ Churchwell of Oglethorpe University (2000/01-2004/05). Kirkendoll ends his career with 1,919 points.
- After making it to the championship game last season, Schriener broke through for its first SCAC men's basketball tournament title and the program's first conference tournament crown of any era.
- This will be Schreiner's first-ever trip to the NCAA Division III Men's Basketball Tournament.
- This marks the 11th time in the 16-year history of the SCAC tournament that a No. 1 seed (either overall or divisional) has won the championship.
- Centenary College ends its season with a 15-11 record.
Schreiner improves to 15-12 on the season and will find out its NCAA Tournament first-round matchup on Monday when the NCAA announces the 2018 national bracket.