(Photo courtesy of Anthony Mazur)
IRVING, Texas - After a scoreless first 110 minutes, the fourth-seeded Austin College Kangaroos defeated the fifth-seeded Texas Lutheran University Bulldogs in penalty kicks (5-4) to advance in Friday's first quarterfinal of the SCAC Men's Soccer Championship. Official Website | Postgame Interview
With the tally knotted at four and after a TLU miss, Chris Abad-Jacobi banged home the victory-sealing PK to send the 'Roos into Saturday's semifinals.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Despite the lack of goals, both teams had numerous chances and opportunities to score. The two combined for 53 total shots with 26 of those on goal.
- Austin College had 27 total shots and 12 on goal; Texas Lutheran had 26 total shots with 14 on frame.
- The PK shootout was the third in the history of the SCAC Men's Soccer Tournament.
- Texas Lutheran has been involved in 2 of the 3 PK shootouts. The Bulldogs defeated Dallas last year, 5-4, in PKs in the quarterfinal round.
AUSTIN COLLEGE STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Joseph Khalaf: 13 saves, 0 goals allowed
- Thomas Quick: 7 shots, 4 shots on goal
- Jack Wheaton: 6 shots, 2 shots on goal
TEXAS LUTHERAN UNIVERSITY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Brendan Soto: 12 saves, 0 goals allowed
- Edgar Molona: 7 shots, 5 shots on goal
- David Ching: 5 shots, 2 shots on goal
- The victory advances the Austin College men to the SCAC semifinals for the second consecutive year and the third time in program history.
- Texas Lutheran ends its season with a 5-10-4 overall mark.
By defeating Texas Lutheran, Austin College (8-6-5) will face advance to face top-seeded Trinity in tomorrow's first semifinal at 11 a.m. CT. The 'Roos were swept by Trinity during the regular season but hung tough with the Tigers in 2-1 and 2-0 losses.