KERRVILLE, Texas - Colorado College fought back from a 2-0 deficit against Trinity University to win the 2017 SCAC Volleyball Tournament title Saturday evening on the campus of Schreiner University. Official Website | Postgame Interview
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Trinity jumped out to a two set lead (25-22, 25-18), but Colorado College fought back to take the final three sets and claim the title (25-19, 25-23, 15-13)
- In the fourth set with Trinity trailing 22-20, the TU Tigers took the next three points to take a 23-22 lead but Colorado College bounced back to take the three points and the set.
- Trinity started the the fifth set with a four point lead, but Colorado College rallied to take six of the next seven points and the lead.
- Tied at 8, the teams swapped points to 11 where Colorado College won two straight points to take a lead that they would not relinquish.
COLORADO COLLEGE STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Haley Harris: 22 kills, game winning kill
- Jordan Mullen: 15 kills, .424 attack percentage
- Anna Gurolnick: 18 digs
- Myca Steffey-Bean: six kills on 13 attempts, .308 hitting percentage
TRINITY UNIVERSITY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Madeline McKay: 19 kills
- Sarah Mullens: 13 digs, two service aces
- Avery Tuggle: 11 kills, two digs
- The tournament title is the fourth for the Colorado College program and the first since the Tigers won three straight from 2010-2012.
- Jordan Mullen of Colorado College was named the 2017 SCAC Volleyball Tournament MVP. The rest of the All-Tournament team is listed below.
- It is just the third time in SCAC volleyball tournament history that a team has rallied from a 2-0 deficit to win the championship match. Trinity did it in 2007 (over Austin College) and 2013 (over Southwestern).
- Colorado College (31-1), the top-ranked team in the nation, earns the SCAC's automatic berth into the NCAA Tournament with the victory. Southwestern (29-5) and Trinity (27-6), ranked third and fourth, respectively, in the most recent NCAA West Region rankings, are expected to receive at-large bids. The NCAA Division III tournament bracket will be announced on Monday.
- In earlier action on Saturday, Austin College took the fifth place match with a 3-0 sweep of Centenary College and Southwestern University earned third-place honors with a 3-0 sweep of Texas Lutheran.
SCAC ALL-TOURNAMENT TEAM
|Bryten Mitchan||Outside Hitter||Texas Lutheran University|
|Piper Sisemore||Middle Blocker||Southwestern University|
|Katrina Lieberman||Setter||Trinity University|
|Maggie Linker||Middle Blocker||Trinity University|
|Haley Harris||Outside Hitter||Colorado College|
|Lizzy Counts||Setter||Colorado College|
|Jordan Mullen||Outside Hitter||Colorado College|
[BOLD] = Tournament MVP