CLEBURNE, Texas -- Texas Lutheran University got out to a 4-0 lead and held off a rally by No. 2-seed Trinity University, topping the Tigers 6-3 in the second game of the Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference Championship on Friday night. Official Website l Bracket l Postgame Interview w/ Head Coach Greg Burnett and Dylan Drgac
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Texas Lutheran scored once in each of the first, second, fifth, and sixth innings to go on top 4-0, with Keaton Boysen, Thomas Varner, and Chad Curtis each picking up an RBI.
- The Tigers cut the lead in half in the bottom of the sixth, as Michael Davis doubled home a run and later scored on an error. Logan Morrison’s RBI single in the seventh got the margin down to 4-3.
- Ben Marvin got the Texas Lutheran lead back to two at 5-3 with a sacrifice fly in the eighth, and Spencer Brandt singled to left to plate one more insurance run in the top of the ninth.
TEXAS LUTHERAN UNIVERSITY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Dylan Drgac: 9.0 IP, win, 2 ER, 5 K, 1 BB
- Riley Schaefer: 3-4, 2 R, double
- Keaton Boysen: 2-4, 1 RBI, 2 doubles
- Chad Curtis: 1-3, 1 R, 1 RBI
TRINITY UNIVERSITY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Blake Frampton: 2-4, 1 R, double
- Rafe Chaumette: 2-4, 1 R, 2 doubles
- Michael Davis: 1-4, 1 R, 1 RBI, double
- Brendan Meyer: 5.1 IP, 3 ER, 4 K, 2 BB
- This is the first time Texas Lutheran has defeated Trinity in the SCAC Baseball Championship. The Tigers had won the previous five meetings in the conference tournament.
- Tonight was the first time Trinity has lost its SCAC Championship opener since 2003.
- Out of 18 combined base hits, eight went for extra bases, including seen doubles.
- Tonight's action represented the first time since 2009 that the top two seeds lost opening round games in the SCAC Baseball Tournament.
Texas Lutheran advances to take on No. 4-seed Southwestern University tomorrow with first pitch set for 1:00 p.m., while Trinity will face No. 1-seed Centenary College in an elimination game immediately following.