KERRVILLE, Texas - Colorado College held off an upset-minded Texas Lutheran squad to advance to the SCAC volleyball title match for the first time since 2012 with a 3-2 victory Friday evening on the campus of Schreiner University. Official Website | Postgame Interview
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Colorado College jumped out to a 2-0 lead with 25-19 and 25-23 victories only to see Texas Lutheran take the next two sets, 25-19 and 27-25.
- In game two, TLU led 23-20 before CC rebounded to win the next five points and the set.
- The fourth set was a classic, with TLU hitting .354 and CC hitting .350 as both teams hammered home winner after winner. Texas Lutheran staved off two match points at 24-23 and 25-24 to take the set 27-25.
- Colorado College earned a decisive 15-8 victory in the fifth and deciding set.
- Colorado College hit .281 for the match compared to .214 for Texas Lutheran
COLORADO COLLEGE STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Aria Dudley: 17 kills, 5 digs, .457 hitting percentage
- Jordan Mullen: 25 kills, 3 service aces, 13 digs, .288 hitting percentage
- Lizzy Counts: 63 assists, 10 digs
- Haley Harris: 16 kills, 19 digs, .268 hitting percentage
TEXAS LUTHERAN UNIVERSITY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Makenzie Griffin: 20 kills, 9 digs, .298 hitting percentage
- Bryten Mitchan: 14 kills
- Jaci Chambers: 28 digs
- Kelly Jurden: 36 assists
- Saturday's championship game appearance will be the first for Colorado College since 2012
- CC appeared in four straight SCAC title games from 2009 to 2012 - winning three of them.
- Texas Lutheran is 0-4 all-time against Colorado College in the SCAC tournament.
- The Bulldogs will play in the third-place match tomorrow seeking the program's highest-ever finish since joining the SCAC prior to the 2013 season. TLU finished fourth in both 2013 and 2015.
Top-ranked Colorado College will face off against the winner of Trinity University and Southwestern University in the championship match on Saturday at 4:30 PM. Texas Lutheran will battle the loser of that same Trinity/Southwestern for third place.