COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - The top-seeded Schreiner University men advanced to the SCAC championship game for the second consecutive year with a hard-fought 74-67 victory over fourth-seeded Trinity University Saturday afternoon on the campus of Colorado College. Official Tournament Website
Schreiner (14-12) will play the winner of Centenary/Texas Lutheran University on Sunday at Noon MT for the SCAC tournament title.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both teams shot the ball well in the first half as Schreiner was 15-30 (50 percent) and Trinity was 12-28 (42.9 percent). Turnovers were an issue for both squads as Schreiner had nine and Trinity had six.
- After trailing 37-35 at the half, Trinity took its last lead of the game, 38-37, with 18:21 remaining, but a 17-6 run by Schreiner put the Mountaineers out front 54-44 with 10:45 remaining.
- Trinity responded with a 13-4 run to cut the lead to one with 7:38 remaining but could get no closer.
- Neither team shot the three-ball particularly well with Schreiner hitting 8-27 (29.6 percent) and Trinity converting on 5-16 (31.3 percent) from distance.
- Keenan Gumbs: 19 points, 10 rebounds, 5 steals, 3 assists
- Blake Kelley: 18 points 5 rebounds
- Andrew Logan: 9 points, 3 rebounds
- Luis Mancillas: 9 points, 3 rebounds, 3 assists
- Danny Rivara: 18 points, 3 rebounds, 2 steals
- Isiah Specks: 10 points, 6 rebounds, 3 assists
- Jayden Holden: 12 points, 4 rebounds
- Matt Jones: 6 points, 6 rebounds, 4 steals, 3 assists
- Schreiner will make its second consecutive trip to the SCAC final. The Mountaineers were defeated 83-70 by Texas Lutheran in the championship game a year ago.
- Saturday's game between Schriener and Trinity was the third time the two had played in the last 10 days. The two had split their earlier match-ups.
- The top seed (either overall or divisional) has advanced to the SCAC title game for 11 straight years.
- In its 15 previous SCAC tournament appearances, Trinity has made it to the semifinal round 12 times but this was the first trip to the SCAC Final Four winning it all in 2014.
- Schreiner is now 3-3 in SCAC tournament games.
- Trinity ends its season with a 15-12 record.
Schreiner (15-11) advances to SCAC championship game to take on the winner of the Centenary/Texas Lutheran game. Tomorrow's championship game is scheduled to tip at Noon MT.