KERRVILLE, Texas - Trinity University posted a 2-1 win over Southwestern University in the championship match of the SCAC Women's Soccer Tournament, earning the team's eighth consecutive title. Official Website | Photo Gallery
Trinity junior Colleen Markey had a hand in both goals for the Tigers as they held off the Pirates late attack.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Trinity outshot Southwestern 27-1 in the game.
- Nine Trinity players recorded at least one shot, while Markey leading the way with seven.
- Southwestern struck in the 57th minute of the game on their only shot of the contest, with Chickie Murphy able to send in an empty-net score.
TRINITY UNIVERSITY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Colleen Markey (Jr., MF/F) 1 goal, 1 assist, 7 shots, 4 shots on goal
- Chelsea Cole (So., MF) 1 goal, 4 shots
- Yasmeen Farra (Sr., MF) 2 shots, 2 shots on goal
SOUTHWESTERN UNIVERSITY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Chickie Murphy (Jr., D/M) 1 goal, 1 shot on goal, 1 shot
- Mary Cardone (Fr., GK) 8 saves, 10 shots faced
- Trinity has won the last seven SCAC women's soccer tournaments (2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011 and 1992) and has played in the championship match in all eight events.
- The conference title is the eighth straight for Trinity.
- By virtue of the conference championship, Trinity will make its eighth straight NCAA tournament appearance and 22nd all-time.
- The goal by Murphy was the first one scored against Trinity in a SCAC tournament game since the 1991 event, where the Tigers fell in double overtime to Rhodes College.
- Colleen Markey was named the 2016 SCAC Women's Soccer Tournament Offensive MVP.
- Julia Kelly was named the 2016 SCAC Women's Soccer Tournament Defensive MVP.
With the victory, Trinity University earns the SCAC's automatic berth to the NCAA Tournament. The Tigers will find out their first-round opponent when the brackets are announced on Monday.