GRAND PRAIRIE, Texas -- Centenary College will head to the Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference baseball championship for the second time in three years with a 5-3 win over Trinity University. Official Website l Bracket l
Centenary never trailed in the contest as they earned their second win of the tournament.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- With strong winds toward left field, the teams combined for three home runs. Centenary collected one from both Aaron Quintanilla and Michael Schimpf, while Trinity's Michael Davis had one for the Tigers.
- Schimpf recorded his homer in the first inning, bringing in two runs to give the Gents an early lead. Quintanilla led off the third inning with a solo shot to left field, making it 3-0.
- Davis recorded his homer in the topof the fourth, then was followed by a ground-rule double from Scott Walters that scored Mason Meredith and a Jake Martin single that sent Walters home.
- With the game tied, Cole Lavergne moved to pitcher and closed out the game, giving up just two hits while striking out three and keeping the Tigers offense off the board.
CENTENARY COLLEGE STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Cole Lavergne: 4.2 IP, 0 ER, 3 K
- Zane Wilkinson: 2-4, 3 R
- Michael Schimpf: 2-4, 3 RBI, 1 R
TRINITY UNIVERSITY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Scott Walters: 1-4, 1 R, 1 RBI
- Michael Davis: 1-4, 1 R, 1 RBI
- Centenary is in the championship round for the second time in three years and third time in the last five.
- This marked Lavergne's fourth win of the season.
Centenary plays in tomorrow's championship game at 12 p.m. The Gents need just one more win to earn their first SCAC tournament title. Trinity will face the winner of the game between Texas Lutheran and Southwestern at 7 p.m.