GRAND PRAIRIE, Texas -- In the first elimination game of the 2017 SCAC Baseball Tournament, it was the fourth-seed Southwestern University who survived and advanced with a 4-3 victory over the second-seed Texas Lutheran Saturday afternoon. Official Website l Postgame Interview w/ Jeremy Rice & Coach R.J. Thomas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Pirates got one run in each the second, third and fourth innings to take a 3-0 lead into the fifth.
- Texas Lutheran got one back, scoring in the bottom of the fifth frame, but the Pirates extended the lead back to three with their final run in the top of the ninth inning, making it a 4-1 contest.
- The Bulldogs opened the final inning with three straight hits, leading to their first run of the frame. After a pitching change from the Pirates, Colby Schrade recorded a sac fly to make it a one run contest with just one out. SU's Jacob Kendra was able to close it out of the win.
SOUTHWESTERN UNIVERSITY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Jeremy Rice: 6.0 IP, 1 Hi, 1 ER, 3 K
- Daniel Montgomery Jr.: 2-4, 1 R
- Ethan Widoff: 1-4, 1 R, 1 RBI
TEXAS LUTHERANSTATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Dylan Drgac: 8.1 IP, 1 ER, 3 K
- Keaton Boysen: 2-4, 1 R, 1 RBI
- Riley Schaefer: 1-3, 1 R, 1 BB
- Southwestern's Rice earned his fifth win of the season with his 6.0 inning performance, while Jacob Kendra earned his first save.
- The Pirates won a tournament game for the third consecutive year. They will face Trinity tonight, a rematch of last year's championship.
- This evening's game between Trinity and Southwestern will mark the fourth consecutive year the teams have played each other in the conference tournament. Trinity won all four of those.
The Pirates will move on to face Trinity Saturday evening in another elimination game. The winner will turn around and play Centenary in the championship round in a game scheduled for Sunday at 12 p.m. CT.