GRAND PRAIRIE, Texas -- Centenary College held off the Southwestern University Pirates in the first game of the Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference Baseball Championship Friday afternoon. Official Website l Bracket l Postgame Interview w/ Head Coach Mike Diaz and Kaleb Kirk
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Southwestern got on the board first, scoring in the top of the first inning after Colby Schmidt led off with a double. Cameron Cooper recorded the RBI.
- In the second inning, the Gents got on the board and took a two-run lead with runs from Andrew Russell, Cole Lavergne and Ian Graham.
- Both teams recorded a pair of runs in the third inning to make it a 5-3 lead for Centenary, but the Pirates were only able to get one run back, scoring in the fifth to make it a 5-4 game.
- After the first three innings, the game turned into a pitching battle with Kaleb Kirk going 7.0 innings for Centenary, followed by a relief performance from Lavergne and the duo of Jacob Kendra and Stephen Greenlees teaming up to allow just one run through the final five innings out of the Southwestern bullpen.
CENTENARY COLLEGE STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Kaleb Kirk: 7.0 IP, win, 4 ER, 6 K, 1 BB
- Andrew Russell: 2-3, 2 R, 1 RBI
- Cole Lavergne: 2-4, 1 R, 2.0 IP, SV, 2 K
- Chris Zapata: 2-4, 1 RBI
SOUTHWESTERN UNIVERSITY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Jacob Kendra: 2.0 IP, 3 K, 0 BB, 0 H
- Stephen Greenlees: 3.0 IP, 2 K, 1 ER
- Ben Little: 3-5, 1 R, 1 RBI
- Cameron Cooper: 2-5, 1 R, 2 RBI
- With that win, Centenary moved to 6-8 all time at the SCAC Championship
- The Gents last win in the SCAC tournament came against Trinity in the 2015 event in Shreveport.
The Gents will move on to face Trinity University Saturday at noon. Southwestern will face Texas Lutheran in the following game.