GRAND PRAIRIE, Texas -- Trinity University used a five-run ninth inning to secure an 11-2 win over Texas Lutheran University in Friday's second game at the 2017 Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference Baseball Championship. Official Website l Bracket
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Though the Tigers finished with a nine-run cushion, the game felt anything but secure as they headed into the final frame. Dylan McGee earned the win, allowing just one earned run through his five innings of work.
- The Tigers offense was sparked by strong performances from five players with multiple hits, at least one run and at least one RBI.
- Texas Lutheran struck first, scoring in the bottom of the second inning, but Trinity replied immediately with a pair of runs in the next frame. The Tigers continued to pile on with three runs in the fourth and one run in the sixth, making it a 6-1 game. TLU's only other run came in the bottom of the seventh.
- Chris Tate came on for the Tigers in the eighth inning with two batters on, and got out of a bases loaded jam without allowing a run.
TRINITY UNIVERSITY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Dylan McGee: 5.0 IP, 5 K, 1 ER
- Scott Walters: 4-6, 3 RBI, 1 R
- Zachary Oretsky: 2-4, 2 R, 2 RBI
- Michael Davis: 2-4, 1 R, 1 RBI
- Jake Martin: 2-6, 2 R, 1 RBI
- Rafe Chaumette: 2-5, 1 R, 1 RBI
TEXAS LUTHERAN UNIVERSITY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Landon Weatherly: 4.2 IP, 3 H, 5 K, 2 ER
- Ben Marvin: 2-4, 1 R
- Rayce Gatlin: 2-4, 1 RBI
- Trinity has won its last 13 first round SCAC tournament games. The last time the Tigers lost a first-round SCAC tournament game was 2003.
- Dylan McGee earned the win in his first ever SCAC Tournament apperance.
- This was McGee's fifth win of the season, which is tied for fifth best in the league.
Next up for Trinity is a winner's bracket game against Centenary at Noon. The two teams have played three times this season - with Trinity winning 2 of 3 at home. Meanwhile, the Bulldogs will move into an elimination game tomorrow afternoon against Southwestern. First pitch for that game is scheduled for 3:30 p.m.