GRAND PRAIRIE, Texas -- Trinity University's Chris Tate pitched a gem to lead the Tigers to the 2017 SCAC Baseball Championship game, defeating Southwestern University 4-3 in an extra-innings battle. Official Website l Postgame Interview w/ Chris Tate and Head Coach Tim Scannell
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Trinity struck first, scoring a run in the top of the second inning on a wild pitch. They added to their lead with another run in the top of the fourth on a sac fly.
- The Pirates had a strong fourth inning on offense, recording three hits and a pair of runs to even the score.
- Trinity scored in the top of the sixth on a sac fly, which held their lead at 3-2 until the bottom of the ninth inning, where the Pirates evened the score and sent it to extra action with a run from a throwing error.
- In the top of the 10th, Rafe Chaumette singledto left field to send Scott Walters home and give Trinity a lead that would hold through the end of the game.
- Trinity's Chris Tate came in in relief in the fourth inning an pitched 6.2 to finish the game. He threw 109 pitches and recorded 11 strikeouts.
TRINITY UNIVERSITY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Chris Tate: 6.2 IP, 0 ER, 4 Hits, 11 K, 2 BB
- Michael Davis: 3-4, 2 R
- Dalys Binder: 2-4, 1 R, 1 BB
- Scott Walters: 2-5, 1 R
SOUTHWESTERN UNIVERSITY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Ben Little: 3-5, 1 R
- Cameron Cooper: 2-4, 1 R
- Kevin Wallace: 1-2, 1 RBI
- Trinity will play in the conference title game for the fifth consecutive year and the 21st time overall.
- This is the third time in five years that Trinity and Centenary have met in the championship game, with the Tigers earning the wins each time. When the teams met two years ago, the Tigers became the first team since 1995 to win two games on the final day of the tournament.
- Tate continues to lead the league with an ERA of 1.73, while pitching 52.0 innings on the season. The outing of 6 2/3 innings matches the longest for Tate this year, and his 11 strikeouts are a season high.
The Tigers advance to the championship round where they will play Centenary College. That game is scheduled for 12 p.m. Trinity needs to win the first game to force a second and deciding game which would be played immediately after.