(Photos courtesy of Joe Fusco)
SHERMAN, Texas - No. 3 seed Texas Lutheran University Bulldogs advance on penalties 5-4 against No. 6 seed University of Dallas Crusaders after the game finished 0-0 in the second overtime. The Bulldogs advance to the semifinals of the 2016 SCAC Men's Soccer Tournament. Official Website | Photo Gallery
HOW IT HAPPENED
- A closely fought match ended scoreless after the second overtime
- The first 3 shots of the penalty shootout were saved, then TLU made 5 straight and advanced 5-4 when Victor Rodgriguez stopped Dallas in the 7th round
DALLAS STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Hunter Haugland: 7 shots, 3 shots on goal
- Tino Gamueda: 4 saves
- Luke Schwarz: 2 shots, 1 shot on goal
- Andrew Ciancone: 2 shots, 1 shot on goal
TEXAS LUTHERAN STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Victor Rodriguez: 9 saves
- Guillermo Guerra: 4 shots, 2 shots on goal
- David Ching: 5 shots, 1 shot on goal
- Victor Manzaba: 2 shots, 1 shot on goal
- This was just the second men's tournament game to be decided by penalty kicks and the first since the 1992 championship match.
- Texas Lutheran has advanced to the semifinal round each of its four seasons in the SCAC (3-0-1).
Texas Lutheran will get a short rest and then face No. 2 Colorado College on Saturday, November 5 at 1:30 pm CT.