GEORGETOWN, Texas -- Centenary exploded for six runs in the top of the third and senior Anna Dunn became the league's all-time single season home run leader as the Ladies upset Schreiner, 9-5, in an elimination game at the 2018 SCAC Softball Championships. Official Website l Bracket l Postgame Interview
The fourth-seeded Ladies will play second-seeded Southwestern in Saturday's nightcap with a trip to Sunday's conference championship game on the line.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Schreiner scored a run in the first and second innings as Bailee Arellano hit her first home run of the season to give the Mountaineers a 2-0 lead.
- Centenary responded with six runs in the top half of the third with two-run doubles by Anna Dunn and Wendy Gillet being the big blows.
- The Ladies scored three more in their half of the fourth with all of the damage coming courtesy of a three-run Dunn home run.
- Schreiner plated a run in the sixth and provided some excitement with two more in the seventh before ultimately falling.
- The top four hitters for Centenary (Payton LeBlanc, Kelsey Ancelot, Dunn and Sydney Hurley) combined to go 10-18 with seven runs scored and five RBI.
CENTENARY COLLEGE STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Anna Dunn: 2-4, 1 2B, 1 HR, 2 runs, 5 RBI, 1 SB
- Payton LeBlanc: 3-5, 2 runs
- Kelsey Ancelot: 3-5, 2 runs, 2 SB
- Nichole Aldridge: 5.2 IP, 10 hits, 3 R, 2 ER, 3 K, 1 BB
SCHREINER UNIVERSITY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Bailee Arellano: 1-3, 1 HR, 1 run, 1 RBI
- Gabriela Acuna: 3-4, 1 run, 1 RBI
- Ashton Vasquez: 2-4, 1 2B, 1 run
- Hannah Ortiz: 4.0 IP, 3 hits, 0 ER, 2 K, 2 BB
- Centenary, the fourth seed, is guaranteed at least a third-place finish in the tournament.
- Dunn's home run was her 15th of the season - establishing a new SCAC single-season high. She tied the record in yesterday's tournament-opening win againts Trinity. She now has 52 RBIs on the season, which also leads the SCAC and represents the fourth-most in a single-season in league history.
- Aldridge improved to 10-9 with the victory.
- Just as it did a year ago, Schreiner (23-13-1) will finish in the fourth at this year's tournament - the program's second-best finish at the SCAC championships. As the host school, the Mountaineers finished third at the event in 2015.
The Ladies will move on to face second-seeded Southwestern University at 8 p.m. in Saturday's final elimination contest.