GEORGETOWN, Texas -- Trailing 3-0 with two out in the bottom of the seventh, Centenary rallied with four hits and a walk, culminating with a walk-off grand slam home run by Wendy Gillet, to defeat Dallas, 6-3, in a Saturday morning elimination game at the 2018 SCAC Softball Championship. Official Website l Bracket l Postgame Interview
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Ladies had five of their 11 hits in the decisive seventh inning.
- Both pitchers went the distance with Watts the hard-luck loser after having pitched a scoreless game heading into the seventh.
- RBI singles by Gabby Underwood and Mel Savala in the top of the sixth gave Dallas a 3-0 lead.
- After a fielders choice by Kelsey Ancelot, four straight Ladies reached via either hit or walk before Gillet's heroics ended it.
CENTENARY COLLEGE STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Wendy Gillet: 1-4, 1 run, 1 HR, 4 RBI
- Anna Dunn: 3-4, 1 2B, 1 run, 1 SB
- Cassie Gonzales: 3-4, 1 run, 1 RBI
- Nichole Aldridge: 7.0 IP, 8 hits, 3 ER, 3 K, 0 BB
UNIVERSITY OF DALLAS STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Mel Savala: 2-3, 2 2B, 1 RBI
- Gabbie Underwood: 1-3, 1 run, 1 RBI
- Katelyn Lazarek: 1-3, 1 2B, 1 RBI
- Maggie Watts: 6.2 IP, 11 hits, 6 ER, 3 K, 1 BB
- In the 14 innings it played at the SCAC tournament, Dallas led 9.2 of those innings.
- This marked the third time these teams have met in SCAC post-season play. The two had split their previous two appearances.
- Gillet's home run was her third of the season and the seventh of her career. It was the junior's first career grand slam.
- Aldridge improved to 9-9 with the win; Watts slipped to 5-14.
The Ladies improve to 19-21 and will move on to face the winner of Schreiner and Trinity later today at 5:30 p.m. Meanwhile, the Crusaders are eliminated from the tournament and finish the season with an 8-32 mark.