GEORGETOWN, Texas -- Hannah Ortiz tossed a complete game five-hitter and Ashton Vasquez supplied a bases loaded triple to propel Schreiner to a 5-1 victory over Trinity in a SCAC Softball Championship elimination game Saturday afternoon on the campus of Southwestern University. Official Website l Bracket l Postgame Interview
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Trinity jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the second inning after a leadoff single by Stephanie Crumrine eventually produced a run on a Marisa Trevino SAC fly.
- Schreiner got on the board in a big way in the bottom of the fourth when leadoff walks chased Trinity starter Allie Hobrook and Ashton Vasquez delivered a two-out, bases-loaded triple to score three.
- Alyssa Hernandez supplied a pair of insurance runs with a two-out, two-run home run in the bottom of the sixth.
- Vasquez and Hernandez had five of Schreiner's seven hits.
- Hannah Ortiz went the distance in the circle for the Mountaineers, allowing just five hits and no walkes while striking out one.
SCHREINER UNIVERSITY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Ashton Vasquez: 3-3, 1 3B, 3 RBI
- Alyssa Hernandez: 2-3, 1 HR, 2 runs, 2 RBI
- Hannah Ortiz: 7.0 IP, 5 hits, 1 ER, 1 K, 0 BB
TRINITY UNIVERSITY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Stephanie Crumrine: 1-3
- Rebecca Berreth: 1-2
- Rylie Goldwait: 1-2
- This marks just the second time in program history that Trinity has gone 0-2 at the SCAC Softball Championship. The other occurance was in 2008 at Centre.
- Since joining the league prior to the 2014 season, Schreiner has a 6-9 lifetime mark in SCAC postseason games.
- Schreiner improves to 23-12-1 overall this season.
The Mountaineers will move on to face Centenary later today at 5:30 p.m., in another elimination game. Meanwhile, the Tigers end their season with a record of 16-24.