GEORGETOWN, Texas -- Southwestern spotted Dallas two runs in the top of the first but held the Crusaders scoreless the rest of the way to earn a 5-2 victory in the second game of the 2018 SCAC Softball Tournament. Official Website l Bracket l Postgame Interview l Photo Gallery
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Dallas jumped on Southwestern starter Bailey Meyer, scoring two runs in the first inning.
- Southwestern bounced back with a run in the bottom of the second.
- The Pirates took the lead in the bottom of the fourth with a solo home rum from Taylor Curtis and a RBI single from Katelyn Francis.
- Southwestern scored two more in the bottom of the sixth to ice the game. Pinch runner Mallory Johnson scored on a field error and Kaitlynn Copher doubled home another run.
- Lindsey Longuet came in in relief in the bottom of the first and pitched 6.1 scoreless innings, allowing just four hits.
SOUTHWESTERN UNIVERSITY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Kaitlynn Copher: 4-4, 1 2B, 2 RBI
- Grace Phelps: 3-4
- Taylor Curtis: 1-4, 1 HR, 1 run, 1 RBI
- Lindsey Longuet: 6.1 IP, 0 ER, 4 hits, 3 K, 2 BB
UNIVERSITY OF DALLAS STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Alicia Enciso: 3-4
- Liz Cordova: 1-3, 1 RBI
- Mel Savala: 1-3, 1 RBI
- Southwestern improved to 4-1 all-time against Dallas in SCAC Tournament play.
- Southwestern is now 7-3 all-time in its opening SCAC tournament game.
- Lindsey Longuet improved to 5-4 with the victory.
- Since softball became an official SCAC sport (1999), the team hosting the confernece tournament is 11-4 in its opening game.
The Pirates will move on to face second-seeded Schreiner University later today with first pitch scheduled for 6:30 p.m. Meanwhile, the Crusaders will move into an elimination game against the loser of Texas Lutheran and Centenary at 10 a.m. tomorrow.