GEORGETOWN, Texas -- Anna Dunn belted a two-run home run and Nichole Aldridge tossed a two-hit shutout as Centenary defeated Trinity 4-0 in the opening game of the 2018 SCAC Softball Tournament. Official Website l Bracket l Postgame Interview l Photo Gallery
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The game remained scoreless until Dunn sent a screamer over the centerfield fence to give the Ladies a 2-0 lead.
- Centenary added two more insurance runs in the bottom of the sixth on a sacrafice fly by Erin Lewis and a single by Cassie Gonzalez.
- The two teams only combined for six hits (Centenary 4, Trinity 2) in a game that last just 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Centenary made the most of its four hits, with three of those coming with two outs and runners on base.
CENTENARY COLLEGE STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Anna Dunn: 2-3, 2 RBI, 2 runs, 1 HR
- Cassie Gonzales: 1-3, 1 RBI
- Nichole Aldridge: 7.0 IP, 2 hits 0 ER, 1 K, 2 BB
TRINITY UNIVERSITY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Sara McCarty: 2-3
- Allie Holbrook: 5.2 IP, 4 hits, 4 ER, 3 K, 5 BB
- This was just the second meeting between Centenary and Trinity in SCAC softball tournament action. Trinity defeated Centenary 7-3 in the first round at last year's event.
- Anna Dunn's third inning home run was her 14th of the season tying the SCAC single-season mark. She now shares the record with Hayle Buchanan of DePauw, who had 14 in 2011.
- Aldridge improved to 8-9 with the victory.
The Ladies will move on to face top-seeded Texas Lutheran University later today at 4 p.m. Meanwhile, the Tigers will move into an elimination game against the loser of game 4 at 12:30 p.m. tomorrow.