GEORGETOWN, Texas - Second seeded Southwestern University, third-seeded Schreiner University and fourth-seeded Texas Lutheran University each posted semifinal wins Friday evening at the 2015 SCAC Men's Tennis Championship. Championship Website | Interactive Bracket | Photo Gallery
In the first match, the Southwestern men defeated Centenary College 5-0. The Pirates shut the Gents out in the match, not giving up a single game as they swept doubles play by 8-0 scores across the board. Caleb Rightmer and Trevor Searle took the No. 2 and No. 3 singles matches by scores of 6-0, 6-0, respectively, to close it out. To watch a post-match interview with Southwestern head coach Billy Porter and Alvaro Rojas click here.
Southwestern University 5, Centenary College 0
1. Rod Khansari (SUMTN) vs. Stafford Lyons (CENT) 6-0, 3-0, unfinished
2. Caleb Rightmer (SUMTN) def. Kane Kershaw (CENT) 6-0, 6-0
3. Trevor Searle (SUMTN) def. Erik Norem (CENT) 6-0, 6-0
4. Chris Matthews (CENT) vs. Armando Garcia (SUMTN) no result
5. Eric Eymard (CENT) vs. Hunter Snell (SUMTN) no result
6. Cavett Feazel (CENT) vs. Alvaro Rojas (SUMTN) no result
1. Nickoloz Snovely/Grant Gideon (SUMTN) def. Stafford Lyons/Erik Norem (CENT) 8-0
2. Neik Khansari/Caleb Rightmer (SUMTN) def. Chris Matthews/Kane Kershaw (CENT) 8-0
3. Trevor Searle/Alvaro Rojas (SUMTN) def. Cavett Feazel/Eric Eymard (CENT) 8-0
In the second match of the day, Schreiner University took down Austin College 5-1. Despite the lopsided score, the 'Roos put up a tough fight, forcing a tiebreaker in the top doubles match, before falling 9-8. AC took the No. 2 doubles match 8-3 to give Schreiner a 2-1 lead heading into singles play. It was all Mountaineers from there are they took four of the matches before it was called.
Schreiner 6, Austin College 1
1. Nick Pena (SCH-M) def. Ambulo (AC) 6-3, 6-1
2. Austin Carrola (SCH-M) def. Meendsen (AC) 6-2, 6-3
3. Dayton Hancock (SCH-M) def. Oxenteiter (AC) 6-4, 6-1
4. Isaac Vaquez (SCH-M) def. Bomer (AC) 6-1, 6-2
5. Josh Ramirez (SCH-M) vs. David Smith (AC) 6-3, 5-2, unfinished
6. Christian Casillas (SCH-M) vs. Kubena (AC) 2-0, unfinished
1. Austin Carrola/Nick Pena (SCH-M) def. Ambulo/Meedsen (AC) 9-8 (5-0)
2. Oxenteiter/David Smith (AC) def. Dayton Hancock/Stephen Rogers (SCH-M) 8-3
3. Teg Lozano/Isaac Vaquez (SCH-M) def. Bomer/Kubena (AC) 8-3
To finish out the evening was Texas Lutheran and Colorado College. The Bulldogs jumped to a 2-1 lead after doubles play, but CC tied it up by taking the top singles spot. The Bulldogs took the No. 2 and No. 3 spots to put them within one match of a win, and victories at No. 5 and No. 6 singles finished out the night.
Texas Lutheran University 6, Colorado College 2
1. Jason Gutierrez (CCM) def. Cliff Pack (TLU-MEN) 6-2, 6-3
2. Sanio Dizdarevic (TLU-MEN) def. Jack Burger (CCM) 6-2, 6-0
3. Kyle Thompson (TLU-MEN) def. Taylor Delehanty (CCM) 6-3, 4-6, 6-0
4. Ryan Beene (TLU-MEN) vs. Ross Sherman (CCM) 6-4, 3-6, 5-3, unfinished
5. Eric Beckenbach (TLU-MEN) def. Casey Shaw (CCM) 6-2, 6-2
6. Greg Nelson (TLU-MEN) def. Jack Benham (CCM) 6-3, 6-1
1. Cliff Pack/Sanio Dizdarevic (TLU-MEN) def. Jack Burger/Jason Gutierrez (CCM) 8-5
2. Eric Beckenbach/Wade Dillenbeck (TLU-MEN) def. Jake Peterson/Taylor Delehanty (CCM) 8-6
3. Jack Benham/Ross Sherman (CCM) def. Greg Nelson/Kyle Thompson (TLU-MEN) 8-6
SCAC championship play resumes on Saturday as top-seeded Trinity University takes on Texas Lutheran in one men's semifinal and Schreiner battles Southwestern in the other. Both matches are slated for 2 p.m. starts.
Also, Austin College and Centenary will play in a consolation match at 9 a.m. with the winner advancing to take on Colorado College at 2 p.m. in the fifth-place match. These consolation matches will take place at East View High School.