GEORGETOWN, Texas – The Trinity University men's tennis team captured the program's sixth consecutive and 20th overall Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference title with a 5-0 win over Southwestern University in Sunday's championship match, which was played on the campus of Southwestern.
The Tigers have now appeared in 24 consecutive SCAC championship matches while this marked the first match for the Pirates in SU history.
Despite a weather delay in the middle of doubles action, the Tigers swept the three matches to earn a 3-0 lead heading into singles play. Aaron Skinner and Adam Krull posted an 8-2 win over William Ellis and Rod Khansari of SU in the second spot before Charlie Curtis and Chas Mayer took the No. 3 match 8-3.
In the final doubles match, Jordan Mayer and Clayton Neiss faced the toughest competition of the day, taking on Niko Snovely and Grant Gideon in the top line. The Tiger duo faced a 6-3 deficit before rallying to tie the match, 8-8. In the tiebreaker, TU proved victorious, winning 7-4 to take the point.
Krull and Mayer took their singles matches in the No. 1 and No. 2 spots, respectively, to close out the match by identical scores of 6-1, 6-2.
The Tigers' will have a short break before continuing their season in the NCAA tournament. Their next matches will be played regionally and the championship will be held in Mason, Ohio at the Lindner Family Tennis Center from May 18-23. To watch an interview with Trinity Head Coach Russel McMindes and senior Jordan Mayer click here.
Trinity University 5, Southwestern University 0
1. Adam Krull (TUM) def. Nickoloz Snovely (SUMTN) 6-1, 6-2
2. Jordan Mayer (TUM) def. Ayinde Hall (SUMTN) 6-1, 6-2
3. Oliver Farmen (SUMTN) vs. Jordan Mayer (TUM) no result
4. Grant Gideon (SUMTN) vs. Clayton Neiss (TUM) no result
5. Neik Khansari (SUMTN) vs. Charlie Curtis (TUM) no result
6. Sam McCready (SUMTN) vs. Chas Mayer (TUM) no result
1. Jordan Mayer/Clayton Neiss (TUM) def. Nickoloz Snovely/Grant Gideon (SUMTN) 9-8 (7-4)
2. Aaron Skinner/Adam Krull (TUM) def. William Ellis/Rod Khansari (SUMTN) 8-2
3. Charlie Curtis/Chas Mayer (TUM) def. Sam McCready/Oliver Farmen (SUMTN) 8-3
In the third place match, Texas Lutheran defeated Schreiner University 5-3 Sunday evening. The Bulldogs took the lead after doubles play and held strong, taking three singles matches as well.
Texas Lutheran University 5, Schreiner University 3
1. Nick Pena (SCH-M) def. Cliff Pack (TLU-MEN) 6-4, 6-1
2. Sanio Dizdarevic (TLU-MEN) def. Austin Carrola (SCH-M) 2-6, 6-1, 6-4
3. Kyle Thompson (TLU-MEN) vs. Dayton Hancock (SCH-M) 6-7 (6-8), 6-4, 3-0, unfinished
4. Ryan Beene (TLU-MEN) def. Isaac Vaquez (SCH-M) 6-1, 6-1
5. Eric Beckenbach (TLU-MEN) def. Josh Ramirez (SCH-M) 7-6, 6-1
6. Greg Nelson (TLU-MEN) vs. Christian Casillas (SCH-M) 3-6, 1-0, unfinished
1. Austin Carrola/Nick Pena (SCH-M) def. Cliff Pack/Sanio Dizdarevic (TLU-MEN) 8-5
2. Eric Beckenbach/Wade Dillenbeck (TLU-MEN) def. Dayton Hancock/Stephen Rogers (SCH-M) 8-5
3. Kyle Thompson/Greg Nelson (TLU-MEN) def. Teg Lozano/Isaac Vaquez (SCH-M) 8-5