SEGUIN, Texas - Playing on its home floor, third-seeded Texas Lutheran University used a 20-7 third quarter to pull away from sixth-seeded Schreiner University and advance with a 66-41 victory Friday afternoon in SCAC women's quarterfinal tournament play. Official Tournament Website | Post-game Interview w/Texas Lutheran
The Bulldogs, who led by as many as 31, shot 53.3 percent (8-15) from the floor in the decisive third quarter to earn the victory and advance to tomorrow's semifinal matchup against Austin College.
- Schreiner scored the first two points of the game but TLU responded with the next six and the Bulldogs never trailed again.
- Texas Lutheran held Schreiner to 12.5 percent (2-16) and 11.1 percent (1-11) from the floor in the second and third quarters and outscored the Mountaineers, 30-12, over those two stanzas.
- Texas Lutheran shot 40.9 percent for the game (27-66), compared to 25.5 percent (13-51) for Schreiner. The two teams combined to attempt 43 three-point field goals with TLU hitting 8 of 21 (38.1 percent) and Schreiner 6 of 22 (27.3 percent).
- TLU held a commanding 32-10 advantage on points in the paint and 31-7 advantage with points on turnovers. The Bulldogs forced 24 Schreiner turnovers.
- Abby Hroch: 16 points, 6 rebounds
- Morgan Rodriguez: 12 points, 2 rebounds, 2 steals
- Dominique Campos: 12 points
- Yasmine Arogunjo: 9 points, 5 rebounds
- Gabby Ivarra: 5 points, 8 rebounds
- Sydney Williams: 5 points, 6 rebounds, 3 steals
- Since joining the conference six years ago, Texas Lutheran is 3-0 all-time in SCAC quarterfinal action.
- Texas Lutheran completed the season sweep against Schreiner, although the first two games were much more competitive. TLU won at home 58-50 on Dec. 18 and at Schreiner, 75-69 on Jan. 8.
- Friday's match-up was the second between the two since they both joined the SCAC in 2013-14. Texas Lutheran defeated Schreiner 63-56 in the semifinals of the 2004 tournament.
- Schreiner ends its season with a 6-20 record.
Texas Lutheran (17-9) advances to take on Austin College in the second women's semifinal tomorrow at 2 p.m. CT. Austin College is the No. 2 seed with a 13-3 conference mark (20-5 overall). Austin took both games against TLU this season, including a 59-52 overtime win in Seguin on Feb. 15. The two have played just once in SCAC tournament play, with TLU taking a 63-59 victory over the 'Roos in the 2017 semifinals.