SEGUIN, Texas - Texas Lutheran built a 15-point lead but had to hold on late to defeat three-time defending champion Trinity and earn its first SCAC Women's Basketball Tournament title since 2014 with an 68-62 victory Sunday afternoon at Memorial Gymnasium on the campus of TLU. Official Tournament Website | Post-game interview w/Texas Lutheran | Women's Tournament Stats
The Bulldogs, who came into the event as the No. 3 seed, are the first women's team in the six-team tournament qualification era (2013 to present) to win three games in three days and take home the championship.
Trinity's Abby Holland led all players with 19 points and 12 rebounds as the Tigers dropped their first tournament final since 2015.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Texas Lutheran jumped out to a nine-point lead early (19-10) and led 20-14 after the first quarter. The Bulldogs shot 60.0 percent (6-10), including 80.0 percent (4-5) from three-point range. Trinity managed just 35.0 percent (7-20) in the opening stanza, which included 0-5 from distance.
- TLU continued to out-shoot Trinity in the second quarter - 42.9 percent to 27.3 percent - and took a 36-23 lead into the halftime locker room.
- Trinity opened the third quarter on a 16-4 lead and a three-pointer from Holland cut the TLU lead to 40-39 with 4:21 remaining in the period.
- Trinity took its first lead of the game on a jumper by Holland and led 58-57 with 2:51 remaining in the game.
- TLU responded, however, scoring 11 of the game's next 15 points, en route to the 68-62 victory and the SCAC title.
- Success, or lack thereof, at the charity stripe was a big component of the game as TLU knocked down 66.7 percent (12-18) while Trinity managed just 45.0 percent (9-20).
- Tara Molina: 15 points, 8 assists, 5 rebounds, 2 steals
- Dominique Campos: 16 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assists
- Abby Hroch: 15 points, 8 rebounds
- Kasey Hairell: 7 points, 9 rebounds, 2 steals, 2 assists
- Abby Holland: 19 points, 12 rebounds, 5 steals, 3 assists, 2 blocks
- Emily Daniel: 15 points, 6 rebounds 5 steals
- Hailey Coleman: 9 points, 5 rebounds
- Kelly Simmons: 9 points, 5 rebounds
- With the victory, Texas Lutheran joins Trinity and DePauw as the only programs to win multiple championships in the 17-year history of the event. Trinity and DePauw have won six each.
- TLU is now 2-1 in SCAC tournament finals while Trinity slips to 6-6.
- The all-tournament team consisted of Jade Odom of Colorado College, Abby Holland and Hailey Coleman of Trinity; and Abby Hroch, Dominique Campos and Tara Molina of Texas Lutheran.
- Molina was named tournament MVP.
- This will be the TLU women's second trip to the NCAA tournament (2014).
Texas Lutheran, winner of the SCAC's automatic bid, improves to 19-9 on the season and will find out its NCAA Tournament first-round matchup on Monday when the NCAA announces the 2019 national bracket. Trinity (22-5) will await word of an at-large berth. The Tigers were sixth in the last NCAA South Region rankings.