SHREVEPORT, La. – Fourth-seeded Schreiner blasted a pair of solo home runs in the bottom half of the first inning and jumped out to a 5-0 lead after two and went on to defeat fifth-seeded Trinity, 7-2, in the opening game of the 2019 SCAC Softball Tournament. Official Website l Bracket l Postgame Interview l Photo Gallery
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Following a scoreless top half of the first inning, Schreiner senior Alyssa Maki and junior Gabriella Acuna blasted solo home runs to give the Mountaineers an early 2-0 lead. For Maki it was her sixth home run of the year and Acuna her third.
- Maki kept her hot afternoon going with a two out, two RBI single in the second to extend the Schreiner lead to 5-0 after the opening two frames.
- Trinity got on the board in the top of the fourth thanks to a Stephanie Crumrine single, scoring Brianna Pena.
- Schreiner would add two insurance runs in the sixth on an RBI from Courtney Bigley and an unearned run.
- The Tigers scratched one run across in the seventh on an RBI from Pena.
SCHREINER UNIVERSITY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Alyssa Maki: 2-4, 3 RBI, 2 Runs Scored, 1 HR
- Gabriella Acuna: 2-3, 1 RBI, 1 Run Scored, 1 HR
- Courtney Bigley: 2-4, 1 RBI
- Hannah Ortiz: 7.0 IP, 8 hits, 2 ER, 4 K, 2 BB
TRINITY UNIVERSITY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Brianna Pena: 1-4, 1 RBI, 1 Run Scored
- Stephanie Crumrine: 1-2, 1 RBI
- Emily Vaclavik: 2-3
- Cat Patterson: 4.1 IP, 9 Hits, 4 ER, 1 K
- This was the second-straight year Schreiner has defeated Trinity in the SCAC Softball Tournament after falling in the first three contests between the programs in tournaemnt play.
- The 12 hits produced by the Schreiner offense is the most since the Mountaineers had 12 against Centenary on April 5th.
- Ortiz improved to 6-8 on the season with her ninth complete game of the season.
The Moutaineers will move on to face top-seeded Texas Lutheran University later today at 4 p.m. Meanwhile, the Tigers will move into an elimination game against the loser of game 4 at 12:30 p.m. tomorrow.