COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - Trailing by six heading into the final quarter, Trinity University outscored Southwestern 25-13 in the fourth to earn the program's third straight SCAC Women's Basketball Tournament title with an 80-74 victory Sunday afternoon at Reid Arena on the campus of Colorado College. Official Tournament Website
The Pirates, who were playing their third game in three days, got 16 points from Zhazze Brown, 15 from Madison Edwards and 14 more from Kelsey Faykus.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Trinity jumped out to a 22-10 first-quarter lead and held Southwestern to 22.2 percent (4-18) from the field.
- The Pirates blistered the nets for 66.7 percent (12-18) from the floor in the second quarter and went on a 13-2 run to cut the Tigers' lead to one (37-36) at the break.
- Southwestern continued its good play in the third quarter, shooting 53.3 percent (8-15), and led 61-55 heading into the final period.
- Trinity rebounded and outscored the Pirates 25-13 in the fourth to earn its third straight SCAC women's basketball title.
- Despite playing its third game in three days, Southwestern outscored Trinity, 18-7, in fast break points.
- Trinity's bench proved valuable as the Tigers outscored the Pirates 26-16 in that department.
- Micah Weaver: 25 points, 9 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 steals.
- Abby Holland: 17 points, 8 rebounds
- Mollie Hughes: 10 pounds, 3 rebounds, 3 assists, 3 blocks, 2 steals
- Julia Ackerman: 13 points, 4 rebounds, 4 assists
- Zhazze Brown: 16 points, 5 rebounds, 3 steals.
- Madison Edwards: 15 points, 5 rebounds
- Kelsey Faykus: 14 points, 9 rebounds
- Cecily Woolfolk: 8 points, 11 rebounds
- With the victory, Trinity becomes the first program since DePauw University (2006-07-08) to win three straight SCAC tournament titles.
- This was Trinity's sixth straight trip to the finals - which equals the mark set by DePauw from 2003-2008. Trinity is now 4-2 in those appearances.
- The all-tournament team consisted of Casey Torbet of Colorado College, Cecily Woolfolk and Madison Edwards of Southwestern; and Mollie Hughes, Abby Holland and Micah Weaver of Trinity.
- Weaver was named tournament MVP.
- This will be the Trinity women's third straight trip to the NCAA tournament and 10th overall.
Trinity, the eighth-ranked team in the most recent NCAA South Region, improves to 23-3 on the season and will find out its NCAA Tournament first-round matchup on Monday when the NCAA announces the 2018 national bracket.