LAWRENCEVILLE, Ga. - The Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference office announced today that the Texas Lutheran University Student-Athlete Advisory Committee is the winner of the league's "Change For The Better" campaign. It marks the third time in four years that the TLU SAAC has earned top honors.
Approved by the SCAC Student-Athlete Advisory Committee in 2015, the "Change for the Better" contest allows each member institution to collect as much change as possible from fans, parents and students in support of a chosen charity over the course of one week during the conference basketball season.
All of the league's nine Student-Athlete Advisory Committees participated in this year's effort with a total of $2478.40 raised for various charitable organizations. In the four-year history of the event, league SAACs have made $7,849.48 in charitable contributions via the "Change For the Better" campaign.
Texas Lutheran won the 2019 competition with a total of $588.61 raised for The Wesley Hensley Fund. The fund was created to contribute to Seguin Fugitive Apprehension Unit Captain Wesley, who was shot nine times while on duty, and had to have surgery on both arms and spent four weeks in the hospital and in rehab.
The results, with the school's chosen charity, are listed below:
- Texas Lutheran - Wesley Hensley Fund ($588.61)
- Schreiner - Doyle School ($516.38)
- Johnson & Wales - Special Olympics Colorado ($376.67)
- Centenary - Muscular Dystrophy Association ($350.00)
- Austin College - Denison Animal Welfare Group ($187.33)
- Trinity - Special Olympics Texas ($162.27)
- Colorado College - Children's Hospital Colorado ($146.13)
- Dallas - Special Olympics ($90.00)
- Southwestern - Special Olympics ($61.01)