The community of Seguin was established in 1838 by members of Mathew Caldwell's Gonzales Rangers, but was not incorporated until 1853. It was originally called Walnut Springs for the nearby fresh water sources. Just six months later the name was changed to honor Colonel Juan N. Seguin, one of Sam Houston's ablest Lieutenants throughout the struggle for Texas' independence. As leader of a dedicated group of Texans of Mexican ancestry, Col. Seguin participated in the great victory at San Jacinto. Later he served as a Republic of Texas Senator and as Mayor of San Antonio.
Ed Kruse Stadium
The Texas Lutheran softball stadium, completed in the spring of 2014, is named in honor of the late Ed Kruse, long-time Texas Lutheran regent and benefactor. The playing field at Ed Kruse Stadium is known as Theos Morck Field. The original Morck Field was located just to the west of the new facility. Morck Field features a FieldTurf artificial surface throughout the entire playing area. Kruse Stadium has permanent bleacher seating capacity for 200, a 240 square-foot press box, stadium lighting, two bullpens and a batting cage. A restroom and concession, also constructed in 2014, facility sits next to Ed Kruse Stadium.