SHREVEPORT, La. - After a scoreless first half, Trinity University made a 73rd minute goal stand as the Tigers earned their ninth straight SCAC women's soccer championship with a 1-0 victory over Texas Lutheran University in Sunday's title match. Official Website | Postgame Interview
Meredith Licata cleaned up the rebound from a shot by Tierney Thomison to provide what proved to be the game-winner for Trinity. It was the senior's second goal of the tournament.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Trinity outshot Texas Lutheran 22-1, with 11 of the Tigers' efforts on goal.
- Eight different Trinity players had shots on goal.
- Texas Lutheran used different keepers in each half with Mikaela Gilbert picking up four saves in the first half and Stephanie Barrientos posting a scoreless 45 minutes in net in the second half with 6 saves.
TRINITY UNIVERSITY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Meredith Licata: 3 shots, 2 shots on goal, 1 goal
- Tierney Thomison: 2 shots, 2 shots on goal, 1 assist
- Julia Kelly: 5 shots, 2 shots on goal
- Chelsea Cole: 3 shots, 1 shot on goal
- Kalli Douma: 0 goals allowed; third shutout of season
TEXAS LUTHERAN UNIVERSITY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Madison Gruetzner: 1 shot
- Stephanie Barrientos: 6 saves, 0 goals allowed in 45 minutes
- Trinity has won the last eight SCAC women's soccer tournaments (2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011 and 1992) and has played in the championship match in all nine events.
- The conference title is the ninth straight for Trinity.
- By virtue of the conference championship, Trinity will make its ninth straight NCAA tournament appearance and 23rd all-time.
- Trinity enters NCAA tournament play on an 18-game winning streak.
- Trinity has not allowed a goal in SCAC tournament play in seven of its last eight appearances.
- Meredith Licata was named the 2017 SCAC Women's Soccer Tournament Offensive MVP.
- Kristen Canepa was named the 2017 SCAC Women's Soccer Tournament Defensive MVP.
With the victory, Trinity University earns the SCAC's automatic berth to the NCAA Tournament. The Tigers (18-1) will find out their first-round opponent when the brackets are announced on Monday.