GEORGETOWN, Texas - Top-seed Trinity University jumped out to a 43-30 halftime lead and never looked back as the Tigers knocked off Schreiner University, 75-59, in Saturday's first semifinal game of the 2017 SCAC Women's Basketball Tournament. Official Tournament Website
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After a three-pointer by Weaver with 6:57 remaining in the first quarter gave the Tigers a 9-8 lead, they never trailed again.
- Trinity shot 47.2 percent (17-36) in the first half.
- Although the turnovers were fairly even (Schreiner had 19, Trinity 16), Trinity held a decisive 21-4 points off turnover advantage.
- Trinity outrebounded Schreiner 45-36.
- Monica Holguin: 13 points, 5 rebounds, 4 steals, 3 assists
- Micah Weaver: 18 points, 5 rebounds
- Abby Holland: 12 points, 7 rebounds, 4 steals
- Sabriyyah Fennell: 18 points, 8 rebounds, 3 assists
- Codi Simmons: 13 points, 3 rebounds
- Jordyn Villa: 8 points, 3 assists, 3 steals
- Trinity advances to the championship game for the fifth straight year. The five straight tournament title game appearnances trails only DePauw's six straight trips from 2003-2008. The Tigers are 2-2 in those four previous appearances - including a 66-50 victory over Schreiner in last year's title game.
- Trinity has five total SCAC women's basketball titles (1995, 2003, 2005, 2013 and 2016), which is tied for the second-most by a program in SCAC history.
- Schreiner ends its season with a 11-16 record.
The eighth-ranked Trinity women (25-1) advance to take on the winner of Texas Lutheran and Austin College in tomorrow's championship game. Tip is scheduled for Noon CT and will be live streamed via CollegeTVTicket (http://www.collegetvticket.com).