GEORGETOWN, Texas - After trailing for most of the first half, fourth-seeded Schreiner University used an aggressive trapping half court defense to pull ahead and defeat fifth-seeded Southwestern University, 65-58, in a SCAC women's quarterfinal matchup Friday afternoon on the campus Southwestern. Official Tournament Website
- Southwestern led by as many as 10 points (17-7) in the first quarter and as many as eight points (30-22) with 1:47 remaining in the first half.
- Schreiner outscored Southwestern 39-28 in the second half, including an 18-11 advantage in the pivotal third quarter.
- Schreiner shot 45.1 percent (23-51) for the game, including 50.0 percent (14-28) in the second half.
- Southwestern shot 36.2 percent (21-58) for the game and just 31.0 percent (9-29) in the second half.
- Both teams committed 25 turnovers and both teams had 35 rebounds.
- The Schreiner bench outscored Southwestern's bench, 22-12.
- Sabriyyah Fennell: 19 points, 5 rebounds
- Codi Simmons: 14 points, 4 rebounds
- Dyamond Puebla: 10 points, 3 rebounds
- Tori Carraway: 16 points, 9 rebounds, 4 assists
- Madison Edwards: 14 points, 4 rebounds, 4 steals
- Friday's match-up featured the second time these two teams had met in SCAC postseason play. On its way to a conference championship, Southwestern defeated Schreiner 76-69 in the 2015 semifinals.
- Schreiner advances to the SCAC semifinals for the fourth consecutive year.
- Southwestern ends its season with an 10-16 record.
Schreiner (11-15) advances to take on Trinity University tomorrow at Noon CT. Trinity is the No. 1 seed with a 13-1 conferene mark (24-1 overall). Tomorrow's semifinal game will be a rematch of last year's championship contest where Trinity took the 66-50 title game victory.