IRVING, Texas - Trinity University took control early and never let up as the Tigers scored a pair of goals in each half to take a 4-0 victory over the University of Dallas in the championship game of the SCAC Men's Soccer Tournament Sunday afternoon on the campus of Dallas. Official Website | Postgame Interview (Coach McGinlay) | Postgame Interview (Taylor/Sakshaug)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Trinity scored its first goal off its third penalty kick of the '17 championships, with Christian Sakshaug getting his second goal of the tournament and his 10th of the season.
- Jacob Hallenberger made it 2-0 in the 22nd minute off a long ball cleared by Kellen Reid.
- Leading 2-0 at the break, Trinity held a 12-5 shot advantage and 6-2 shots on goal advantage.
- Austin Michaelis scored his 13th goal of the season off an assist Jack Braley in the 76th minute to give the Tigers the comfortable 3-0 lead.
- Quentin Van Der Lee finished the scoring with a goal in the 81st minute, his fifth of the season. Brent Mandelkorn assisted from the left side of the box.
- For the game, Trinity outshot Dallas 23-17, and 12-7 with shots on frame. Trinity had six coreners and UD had two.
TRINITY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Jacob Hallenberger: 5 shots, 2 shots on goal, 1 goal
- Christian Sakshaug: 3 shots, 2 shots on goal, 1 goal
- Brent Mandelkorn: 1 shot, 1 shot on goal, 1 assist
- McCaleb Taylor: 6 saves, first career shutout
- Kellen Reid: 1 assist
UNIVERSITY OF DALLAS STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Nat Kajiwara: 6 shots, 2 shots on goal
- Hunter Haugland: 4 shots, 1 shot on goal
- Chima Ogueri: 2 shots, 2 shots on goal
- Sean Carlin: 7 saves
- Trinity has won the SCAC men's soccer tournament six out of the nine years it has been played.
- The title was also the 20th overall for the Trinity men's soccer program, making them just the fourth program in SCAC history to achieve 20 conference championships. They join Trinity men's tennis (22), Trinity women's soccer (22) and Trinity women's tennis (21).
- McCaleb Taylor earned the Defensive MVP and Christian Sakshaug earned the Offensive MVP. It was the second consecutive year that Sakshaug has been named tournament MVP. He joins Johnny Lawson (2012 and 2014) as the only two-time SCAC tourament Offensive MVP honorees.
- This is the fifth straight year that Trinity has had to defeat the host school on its way to the tournament title. The Tigers defeated Southwestern in the championship game in 2013, Texas Lutheran in the semifinals in 2014, Colorado College in the championship game in 2015, Austin College in the semifinals in 2016 and Dallas in today's championship game.
By virtue of today's victory, Trinity will earn the SCAC automatic bid to the NCAA tournament. They will find out their opponent and match location when the bracket announcements are made on Monday.