GEORGETOWN, Texas - The top-seeded Schreiner University men advanced to the SCAC championship game for the first time in program history with an 82-76 victory over Southwestern University Saturday evening on the campus of Southwestern. Official Tournament Website
Schreiner (15-11) will play the winner of Colorado College/Texas Lutheran University on Sunday at 2 p.m. CT for the SCAC tournament title.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Schreiner, who led the SCAC in field goal percentage, shot 52.0 percent (26-50) from the field in the victory. The Mountaineers were 13-25 from the floor in both halves.
- Schreiner led by as many as 16 (58-42) midway through the second half.
- Southwestern cut the lead to 76-73 with 3:07 remaining but could get no closer.
- Schreiner shot 47.4 percent (9-19) from three-point range.
- Jared Thompson: 25 points, 6 rebounds
- Blake Kelley: 20 points, 6 rebounds, 3 assists
- Keenan Gumbs: 14 points, 5 rebounds
- Wes Miller: 10 points, 3 rebounds, 3 assists
- Ryan Ogden: 27 points, 8 rebounds
- Kyle Howard: 11 points, 2 assists, 2 rebounds
- Ben Stiver: 10 points, 4 rebounds
- Schreiner is the first team in the SCAC tournament era (2003-current) to make it to the championship game a year after not qualifying for the tournament.
- The top seed (either overall or divisional) has advanced to the SCAC title game for 10 straight years.
- Southwestern ends its season with a 14-13 record.
Schreiner (15-11) advances to SCAC championship game to take on the winner of the Colorado College/Texas Lutheran game. Tomorrow's championship game is scheduled to tip at 2 p.m. CT and can be viewed via CollegeTVTicket (http://collegetvticket.com).