GEORGETOWN, Texas - Fourth-seeded Southwestern University used a 16-1 run early in the second half to take control and run past fifth-seeded Trinity University, 71-65, in Friday's first quarterfinal game of the 2017 SCAC Men's Basketball Tournament. Official Tournament Website
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After trailing by 5 at the half, Southwestern outscored Trinity 39-28 in the second half.
- Southwestern forced 19 Trinity turnovers.
- Trinity out-rebounded Southwestern, 43-35.
- Southwestern shot 46.7 percent in the second half (14-30) and held Trinity to 31.0 percent (9-29). The Pirates shot 43.1 percent (25-58) for the game.
- Ryan Ogden: 22 points, 5 rebounds, 2 steals
- Joel Martinez: 16 points
- Zach Whitlock: 8 points, 8 rebounds
- Chris Molina: 9 points 3 assists, 3 steals
- Jayden Holden: 18 points, 11 rebounds
- Matt Jones: 6 points, 6 rebounds, 5 assists
- Danny Rivara: 5 points, 6 rebounds, 3 blocks
- This is Southwestern's second trip to the SCAC semifinal round in the last three years.
- This is the fifth straight year the No. 4 seed has defeated the No. 5 seed in the men's tournament.
- Trinity had swept both games against Southwestern during the regular season. Friday's win by the Pirates represents the seventh time in leauge history the team that had been swept during the regular season series (two games minimum) has turned the tables with a victory in the conference tournament.
- Friday's contest represented the fifth time the league's two oldest members have met in the SCAC Tournament. Trinity had won three of the previous four match-ups prior to Friday.
- Trinity ends its season with a 12-14 record.
Southwestern (14-12) advances to take on Schreiner University tomorrow at Noon CT. Schreiner enters the tournament as the No. 1 seed with an 11-3 conferene mark (14-11 overall). The last time the two teams met in the SCAC Tournament, Southwestern pulled out an 81-78 double-overtime victory in the quarterfinal round of the 2015 tournament.