CLEBURNE, Texas -- Texas Lutheran will head to the Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference baseball championship after a walk-off 3-2 win over Southwestern in winner's bracket action Saturday afternoon at the Depot at Cleburne Station. Official Website l Bracket l Post game interview w/ Head Coach Greg Burnett and Spencer Brandt
With the score tied and two outs in the bottom of the ninth, sophomore catcher Spencer Brandt drew a base-loaded walk after a 12-pitch at bat to send the Bulldogs into Sunday's title game.
The appearance in the championship contest will be the first for the Bulldogs since 2014.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Texas Lutheran scored twice in the bottom of the first on a double by Tyler Cauley and a sac fly by Andrew Whitten.
- The Bulldogs left the bases loaded in the first and second innings.
- Southwetern scored on a bases loaded walk to Seth Sparks and tied the game in the top of the eighth on a two-out double by Jason McCormack.
- With the two outs and bases loaded in the bottom of the ninth, TLU's Spencer Brandt fouled off six pitches before drawing the game-winning walk.
TEXAS LUTHERAN UNIVERSITY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Spencer Brandt: 1-3, 2 RBI, 2 BB
- Thomas Varner: 2-4, 1 run, 1 BB
- Tyler Cauley: 1-4, 1 2B, 1 RBI
- Nathan Malinovsky: 7.2 IP, 6 hits, 2 ER, 6 BB, 4 K
SOUTHWESTERN UNIVERSITY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Jason McCormack: 3-4, 2B, 1 RBI, 1 run
- Seth Sparks: 1-3, 1 RBI, 2 BB
- Aaron Clark: 7.2 IP, 4 hits, 1 ER, 7 BB, 3 K
- Texas Lutheran is in the championship game for just the second time since joining the SCAC prior to the 2014 season.
- Two of the first three games of the 2018 tournament have been decided by one run.
Texas Lutheran plays in tomorrow's championship game at 12 p.m. The Bulldogs need just one more win to earn their first SCAC tournament title. Southwestern will face the winner of the game between Centenary and Trinity at 8 p.m.